Service Description: Career Coaching
One-on-one career coaching for individuals seeking career direction or change.
This program is ideal for people looking to cultivate a compassionate experience in their career and workplace.
An Innovative Approach to Balance
Career coaching at AWE is built upon the polyvagal theory.
As a starting point, we connect bodily sensations with emotional reactions. Then, we build a map to record how these cues influence day-to-day workplace decisions and interactions. With this map in hand, we plan the next steps on your career path.
So much can be learned about your capacity to produce and your effectiveness when we develop an understanding of physiological responses to work.
How is AWE Career Coaching Built?
- Start with the biology: Each program is built around the principles of the polyvagal theory. Using this methodology, we focus on developing a person's full potential based on their individual experience.
- Compassionate Inquiry: An exploration of the problems you’re facing, the goals you’d like to achieve, and the realities of bringing career change to life.
- Plan for small actionable changes: We slowly build the underpinnings for a new career foundation. We build a plan that honors your nervous system states. We believe in the principle of ‘stretch, don’t stress’ – so we never push or work to exhaustion.
- Build custom measures for evidence-based change: Balance the corporate need to demonstrate change with the vulnerable nature of being human. We close our journey by identifying new metrics for career measurement.
Career Coaching with AWE honors that we are working within a dated system that feels broken. Coaching builds new elements to support individuals so that you can introduce new ideas for systemic change.
It’s not about destroying the system. It’s about building new elements to support people.
Who is the Ideal Career Coaching Client?
- Managers and executives. Leaders who want to achieve success in a different way.
- People who take a mid-career pause. Individuals who have experienced burnout or overwhelm at work. People who acknowledge that their energy is depletable and requires ongoing attention.
- People who are willing to make change. Individuals devoted to enacting change to achieve balance at home and at work. Especially people willing to to make time for incubation and gradual change.
- People devoted to true connection. All humans require true connection to achieve emotional regulation and satisfaction. Especially people wiling to make heartfelt connection that honors privacy and steps toward individuation.
- People dedicated to leading by example. Individuals who acknowledge that change comes from individual action, and that human connection influences the most significant changes in life and work.
- People willing to make changes within their own team. By modelling change and offering the opportunity to test new ideas, you are influencing consensual shifts in workplace culture.
- People who understand that all employees are human. We all share the same biological make up and experience the same journey through our nervous systems. By starting with your own biological responses, you find a sense of embodiment and then understand what others experience too.
The Steps We Take
Physical: Understand your sensations and emotions (your biology) via the Polyvagal Theory.
Emotional: Learn new steps for career management and leadership from a place of physiological and emotional regulation.
Mental: Establish a plan, including actionable steps for your personal career growth.
Leadership: Find new metrics and evidence to build solid business arguments from anew perspective.
- Polyvagal Theory
- Somatic Experiencing
- Compassionate Inquiry
- Internal Family Systems
- Agile Methodology
- Theories of Regenerative & Ecological Economics
Career Coaching Benefits & Outcomes
By cultivating the relationship between biology and behavior, career coaching clients can:
- Find balance between compassion with productivity
- Establish boundaries that enable personal productivity
- Adopt new approaches to workplace communication and change management
- Notice the important interplay of connection (with self and others), play and efficiency
- Learn that progress does not require struggle, but concerted effort
- Spend equal amounts of time in busy-ness and contemplation
- Listen and respond (not just react) to the rhythms of your career and life
- Break away from restrictive perspectives in order to honor your biological responses and make space for personal and career growth
- Establish a new management style for a new era
- Learn a boundless style of leadership that is in balance with your personal needs and with nature
- Develop a sense of personal career growth beyond earnings
Career Coaching Time Investment
- Minimum of 24 weeks
- 90-minutes bi-weekly
Career Coaching Testimonial
I’m a hospital administrator with a huge budget and even bigger expectations for growth. Andrea helped me understand how to bring the Polyvagal Theory alive in the workplace by mapping my reactions to floundering productivity and ongoing demands for 'better' data. She offered the support for me to transition from employee to manager, and the innovative ideas required to achieve the goals of the business while still being true to my needs. It was all done from a place of deep contemplation and compassion for my experience. I felt safe to know someone was checking my work, thinking about my workplace context, and supporting me on my path to career change. - Deborah| Toronto, Canada